Oct 7, 2007

A Sunday Afternoon with the Horses


I have always had a love affair with carousels. I don't know why, but I get goosebumps just thinking about the horses, the music, the motion... This week, I learned that in Bristol, Connecticut, there exists the New England Carousel Museum. I had to go see it. Today was the day.

The museum is in an old mill building. Lack of space does not seem to be an issue. It houses what is probably the largest collection of carousel figures - horses and other animals - anywhere in the world. Also on display are other carousel-related memorabilia, including this restored Wurlitzer band organ.


The building also houses a "history of firefighting" collection and a sizeable carousel restoration shop. I only wish Mary Ann could have shared the day.

No comments: