Mar 2, 2010

Visitor from the North...


A week ago last Saturday, I proceeded on my normal morning routine, which includes feeding the dog and two cats. When I approached Sheila's dog pen, I spotted a huge animal, feeding at the cats' dishes. It was a full-grown Alaskan Malamute. If you've never seen one of these dogs, believe me, they are
very large.

I approached him cautiously, hoping that he was friendly, and he turned out to be so. I led him into Sheila's pen so that he couldn't attack our cats. He looked capable of making short work of eliminating them. He sniffed Sheila, but there was no sign of aggression. He did, however become very protective of the food dish.

I kept him in the pen and let Sheila stay outside the fence, since I didn't want him to run out in the road and get hit. I also began to realize that I couldn't keep him and hoped I could find his rightful owner.

Mary Ann and I placed an ad in the local newspapers and on the local radio station, to no avail. I realized that if I took him to the pound, he would most certainly be destroyed, an option I didn't even want to think about. I called Elsie West, who works in the gift shop, since Elsie is quite a dog rescuer, and she indicated she might know someone who could help.

Through a friend of a friend, we were put in contact with a young lady from Hartselle, Alabama, who saves Malamutes! Krista and her fiancé, Josh, came up to our home this afternoon and took the dog to their rescue site. They have four acres where they keep 14 Malamutes, Huskies, and wolf mixes. I can't tell you how relieved and happy I was to know that this animal has been saved.

Please spay and neuter your pets. Be a responsible pet owner.

No comments: