Feb 17, 2011

Food, At Last...


It's been quite a while since I wrote about food.  This week I happen to be in the Washington, DC area.  I'm working with two colleagues, Bob Grow and Carol Kelly, both of whom are rather adventurous about trying new places to eat.  As you may know, I'm all in favor of that.

Zeffirelli's Famous Veal Chop
On Tuesday night, we went to a small Italian restaurant in Herndon named Zeffirelli's.  Bob had been there before.  Their specialty is a center cut veal chop that is marinated, then braised, then finished in the oven.  Bob got that.  Carol enjoyed a rockfish dish that looked wonderful.  I started with the Insalata di Finnochio described as, "Shaved Fennel Salad with Goat Cheese, Walnuts and Truffle Oil."  Spectacular!
My main course was the 
Tortellacci Alassio.  This is, "Homemade Tortellacci filled with braised veal and beef, served with a reduction of Veal sauce and sage."  It, too, was absolutely wonderful.

Last night we found ourselves with some other colleagues at Tuscarora Mill in Leesburg.  The atmosphere was really fun, surrounded by a large 19th century mill with its massive oak timbers and remnants of old machinery.  I had a delicious corn chowder followed by a
Thai Scallop Pasta.  This consisted of braised scallops served with glass noodles, lump crabmeat, and stir-fried vegetables in a Thai basil-lemongrass-tomato sauce.  I would probably order it again, although the menu was wonderfully varied and I might have to try something else.

I would highly recommend either of these restaurants.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: