May 8, 2011

A Major Event for the Mead Family...

Nephew David, his son Forrest, and Laura Mead, the proud Mom!
I have written before about my aunt, Ethel Mead Van Auken.  She graduated from Syracuse University in 1914. She was the first member of my branch of the Meads to complete a university education.  My father, Harold Richard Mead, graduated from the University of Michigan College of Dentistry two years later.  (This was when dentistry was a four-year degree program.)

The next wave of graduates came in the 1960s.  My brother Bill attended the University of Michigan, following in my dad's footsteps but never graduated.  My sister Ann graduated as a Registered Nurse from St. Rose College of Nursing in Albany in 1961.  And I followed a year later, completing a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Rochester in 1962.  After completing my military service, I attended the University of Oklahoma, where I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in metallurgical engineering in 1971.  We then entered a 40-year drought in Mead college graduates.  I'm proud to say that the drought is ended.

Last weekend, my great nephew, Forrest William Mead, walked across the stage of the Smothers Theatre of Pepperdine University, and was recognized as a new graduate with a degree in economics.  My nephews David and Mark and their families were there to witness and celebrate the occasion.  Mary Ann and I extend our most heartfelt congratulations!

No comments: