Jun 10, 2018

Weekend Project

The ultimate bird feeder!

Not long before Christmas, Mary Ann asked me if there was anything I might want in the way of a gift.  I suggested a bird feeder.  I had previously owned a bird feeder that had been demolished when a large tree fell on it, mashing it beyond recognition.  I thought little more about our conversation after that.

On Christmas day, there was a large box among my gifts with a shiny copper cone extending past an open side.  I knew right away that this had to be the roof of a very large bird feeder.  Mary Ann had located and purchased what must be the Taj Mahal of bird dining facilities.  It is hexagonal with little arched openings on all sides and is manufactured using solid cellular PVC and sheet copper.  I expect it will outlast me.

My old bird feeder was a modest sheet metal affair that mounted on an iron pipe that I drove into the ground.  It went up in five minutes.  Not so with this elegant avian eatery.  It has a recessed opening on its underside measuring 4" x 4".  It would require a 4x4 post.

I proceeded to Lowe's a few weeks ago and selected the clearest 4x4 post I could find, 6' long and pressure treated to resist the elements.  This meant I'd have to find some appropriate hardware to support the base.  On to Amazon!  I purchased the Simpson Strong-Tie E-Z Base with its beautiful black glossy powder coated finish.  A piece of hardware worthy of such a feeder.


This required that I purchase some anchor bolts, nuts and washers.  Then I dug a hole about 18" deep, drove in a half dozen pieces of reinforcement bar, built a form for the perimeter of the concrete base, and poured the concrete into which I incorporated the anchor bolts.  Now things started to take shape!  

This weekend, I finally got everything put up.  I mounted the post in the recess of the E-Z Base.  Then I realized I had forgotten to get the 1/4" galvanized lag screws that lock it in place.  Back to Lowe's.  I got the squirrel (and cat) protector in place with no issues.  I mounted and leveled the post.  Everything was falling into place nicely.

When I placed the bird feeder on top of the post, I noticed something very strange.  An American standard 4x4 post is not in fact 4" by 4".  It's more like 3-1/2" square.  But the recess in the bottom of the feeder was a little over 4" by 4".  My solution was to glue 1/4" thick battens on all four sides of the post along the top edge.  Once these were in place and the glue had dried, I could mount the feeder with a nice snug fit.  Problem solved.

I think it looks great.  I only hope the birds are as pleased as I am!

No comments: