Jan 27, 2019

21st Century Hustle...


I've noticed a practice by my Ford dealer that I call the "21st Century Hustle."  I doubt very much if it's unique to my particular dealer.  It goes something like this.

I take my truck in for an oil change and ask them to rotate the tires.  I did my own oil changes until I was 70.  Then I decided I was too damned old to be crawling around under vehicles, so now I take my truck to the dealer.  All I want is an oil change and a tire rotation.

I should mention that I'm kind of a maintenance geek.  When I served in the navy, I was a ship's Chief Engineer.  I was elbow deep in the navy's preventive and corrective maintenance programs.  When I worked at Ingalls Shipbuilding in the early '70's, I was a Project Engineer for Maintenance in the Integrated Logistics Division.  When I get a vehicle, I actually read the maintenance schedule.

I marvel at how infrequently we actually have to do things to maintain modern cars.  On my 1932 Plymouth, the manufacturer recommends an oil change every 1,000 miles.  Nowadays, with synthetic lubricants, some cars go 15 or 20,000 miles between changes.  Advances in metallurgy, lubrication and technology have dramatically altered the landscape when it comes to taking care of equipment.

When I took my truck in last week for its regular service, the odometer was showing a little over 29,000 miles.  I figured the service representatives might suggest that we go ahead and perform the recommended 30,000 mile service items.  On this vehicle there are only two items recommended every 30,000 miles:
  • Replace engine air filter. 
  • Replace the engine-mounted and frame-mounted fuel filters. 
Sure enough, while the truck was being serviced, the service rep suggested that we go ahead and put a new air filter on the vehicle.  Oddly, no mention was made of a fuel filter.  Shortly thereafter came the 21st Century Hustle.  It went down like this:
"Mr. Mead, you know that with nearly 30,000 miles on your truck, we strongly suggest you get that transmission serviced.  We do a complete change of fluid, flush the transmission, and change the filters for about $230.00.  Then we also suggest you probably need the end-to-end fuel system servicing.  That will run you about $240.00.  You'll notice the difference, Sir."

They then provided me with a formal "Repair Estimate" sheet prepared by my "Service Advisor."  There in black and white were the "16 QT LV/SP TRANSMISSION FLUSH -- $229.95" and "COMPLETE FUEL SYSTEM TREATMENT -- $239.95."

As soon as my truck was back in my hands, I got my owners manual out of the glove box.  No matter how hard I tried, I could not find either of these descriptions in the scheduled maintenance recommendations.  There is a recommendation that at 150,000 miles, I change the automatic transmission fluid and filter.  There is no mention of a flush, although I suppose that is harmless and might actually be beneficial.  I'll probably consider it in about 6 years when I've accumulated 150,00 miles.

In the meantime, I'll simply listen at each service interval for the Hustle.

No comments: